Happy 4th of July~
- On 1 July 2022
- Posted by Chantal Mariotti
Wishing everyone a fun and safe 4th of July Holiday weekend! Here are a few safety tips from FEMA:
- Use your grill well away from your home and deck railings, and out from under branches or overhangs.
- Open your gas grill before lighting.
- Periodically remove grease or fat buildup in trays below your gas or propane grill so it cannot be ignited.
- Declare a three-foot “kid and pet-free zone” around the grill to keep them safe.
- Avoid loose clothing that can catch fire when cooking on the grill.
- Keep pets indoors.
- Create a designated comfort place.
- Never use fireworks around your pets!
- Keep updated identification on your pets at all times.
- Make time for a pre-fireworks workout. Go for a long walk or hike to help wear out your dog before the fireworks begin.
- Schedule dinner and bathroom trips before the sun sets.
- Once the fireworks start, keep your dog occupied with their favorite chew toy.
- Take steps to muffle the noise as much as possible.
- Close the curtains or blinds and turn on the TV or radio to provide some distraction.
- Treat toys such as Kongs filled with their favorite treats may help keep their minds busy and distract them from the fireworks.
- Be sure fireworks are legal in your area before using or buying them.
- Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities and never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks. Sparklers alone account for one quarter of emergency room fireworks injuries.
- If you set off fireworks, keep a bucket of water handy in case of malfunction or fire.
- If fireworks malfunction, don’t relight them! Douse and soak them with water then throw them away.
- Never ignite fireworks in a container, especially one that is glass or metal.
Enjoy & Have Fun!